About Me

My photo
Wife of one, Mom of two two-legged children, Mom of four four-legged children.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A conversation with Subaru

About a week ago I sent an email to Subaru about all of the issues I've had with the car.  It has become apparent that the issue will likely not be resolved and I simply need to move on.

Names other than mine have been removed because I just wasn't comfortable leaving them in.


Their response:
Thank you for contacting Subaru of America.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having with the check engine light .  The check engine light can be an indicator for various components in the vehicle.  Does the same issue keep occurring?  What are the names of the Subaru dealers who inspected the vehicle when the check engine light comes on?

After reading through your story I will definitely submit a complaint for you.  I can understand how this can be upsetting to you, and I read that you are not happy with our product and are waiting to trade it in for a non-Subaru product.  Aside from filing a complaint, what are you looking for from Subaru of America today?


My response:

Thank you for responding.

The paperwork shows that the last three times the same code was being thrown.  That code being the P0442 evap code.  The prior paperwork does not list the specific code, though I'm still trying to track all of it down.   The first dealership was ABC.  The second was XYZ.  

So far the following parts have been replaced: Coil, injector, plugs, right cylinder head, valve guide, exhaust valve, springs, clips, intake gaskets, manifold gasket, and evaporator canister.  I'm told the filler neck now needs to be replaced.  This will have to be done soon as my annual inspection is coming due.

Unless you'd like to buy the vehicle back or fix it so the light doesn't come on again, I'm not sure what you could do.  Either of those would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Them:
I have requested all invoices from both Subaru dealers.  Once the dealerships have responded and I review the invoices, I will get back to you within a week.  If you have questions before then, please feel free to contact me.

Them again:
I received all of the invoices from XYZ and ABC. The combined invoices indicates that you have been to the dealers 8 times for check engine light concerns.  Please give us some time to carefully review the documents and speak with a technical advisor, and I should get back to you by Friday.  Thank you for your patience.

Me:
Thank you A.  I look forward to hearing from you.

And the final response:
I had the chance to review the documents from both Subaru dealers and saw that your vehicle was inspected several times for a check engine light.  Although, code P0442 is indicated on multiple invoices it is only an indicator for the technician.  Please notice that whenever repairs were made the parts needed were not the same each time, which is an indication of a different issue.  At this time I can only recommend visiting a dealer if the check engine light comes on again.  Again, I apologize that you have experience multiple issues with your vehicle and thank you for giving me the opportunity to review your case.

To which I replied:
Hi A,

Thank you for taking the time to review the invoices.  

However, I disagree with your assessment.  It is my assessment that the dealers have no idea what is wrong with the car and are just simply replacing a new part each time.  Shortly after each visit the light comes back on.  In fact, the light is currently on.  The light came back on less than a week after the last repair(which was $600).  When I took it back to XYZ, they cleared it and said it should be fine.  The next morning the light came back on.  So I took it back again and they said it needed another new part for $500, charged me for the diagnostic and said that if they'd had it longer the last time, they might have found this issue!  First, if they needed more time, they should have said that.  Second, they had it twice in under 24 hours because they didn't have the part in stock to fix it.  I feel that should have been plenty of time.  How much money do you expect me to spend before your certified technicians fix the problem?

Unfortunately, I can no longer justify replacing parts on a vehicle that is never actually fixed.  I simply can't afford it.  I am disappointed that this has been my experience with your company and product.  I will not be doing business with your company again.

Thank you for your time, 
Robyn



No comments:

Post a Comment