About Me

My photo
Wife of one, Mom of two two-legged children, Mom of four four-legged children.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pet Introductions - Ashe

So one of the 31 Day Blog Challenge posts I've been participating in made me think I should introduce the fur balls.  Day 14 was what would you do if you won the lottery.  After all of the typical payoff debt and take a trip stuff, I added that I would like to rescue animals.  Which I feel like I've already started doing because we have four animals and only once did we say "We should get a pet!".  The rest just showed up.

In July of 2002 close friends of ours decided they were going to pack up and move to California.  So other friends of ours decided to throw them a going away party/BBQ.  Aside from losing our friends to the other coast, we were also losing our fur fixes, as at the time, we were petless and they had two cats.  So shortly after we arrive, I get pulled into the house and told "you have to see this".  "This" was two of the tiniest, furriest grey kittens I had ever seen.  Adorable.  After some snuggles, I took one of them outside for J and C to see.  We were all in love.  And then we got the story.  The hostess of the party had been driving on a busy street and had seen something small in the middle of the road.  She stopped to check it out, and found it was kitten.  This was the kitten we ended  up bringing home.  She looked around too see if she could find the mother, and found another kitten on the side of the road.  After not being able to find the mother or anyone who claimed them, she brought them home.  Both kittens found forever homes that day.  After short deliberation, the kitten was named Ashe.  I wanted to call him Neil after a David Sedaris story, but was out voted.

After a trip to the vet, it was determined that our kitten was only 7 weeks old. It's been almost 10 years, but we're still happy with our kitten.  Though he has many names at this point, all of which reflect his size over the years and his behaviors.  Those names are Baby(because he was so tiny), Goober(because he does silly things), Bulimia boy(because he eats too fast and throws up) and chubby(because even with his eating habits he still managed to get to 15 pounds).

Then....



Now... 






No comments:

Post a Comment